Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, September 04, 2006

I couple of weeks ago, I was tagged and wrote about 5 odd habits Rockwell has. They weren't really that odd and other dogs I know have them. Since then however, I was reminded of one other odd thing he does. It is so odd that I don't even know what he's really doing and I sure don't know why he does it. I've seen him do this inside and outside so I can't narrow down guesses in that way.

What happens is that he suddenly stops dead in whatever he is doing and immediately he whips his head around to look at his bum. Sometimes he sits down so that he can maneuver his nose as close to his bum as possible. But mostly, he stands there, twisted around and it looks like he is listening, rather than looking at his bum! I thought for a while that the stopping and listening might have been triggered by an insect buzzing around his nether regions but I haven't been able to see one or hear one myself. I do know he is intensely interested in insects. I have also thought it might be a fart that startles him like that! However, I know I have heard him fart before and he didn't do this odd little thing.

Any guesses?

2 Comments:

At 6:57 p.m., September 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two questions Julia: About the lying down instead of walking, have you tried carrying those tiny treats in your pocket and give him one while he walks beside you a few times? Keep him on your left and keep the little treats in your left side pocket with one in your free hand. Give him one or half of one to start out to get his interest.

About the whipping his head around to see what is happening behind him...Have you thought of having him dewormed? Just guesses. How are the ears?

 
At 8:10 p.m., September 09, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Oh Anon, I have tried everything I can think of and everything everybody else has suggested. Yes I have tried treats. It works for about three steps and then he lies down again. Sometimes, if we are really close to the house, he doesn't even get up for the treats. I think it will take someone new (a trainer) who is Alpha and lets him know about it. I don't have it in me to be Alpha and I don't want to be the one to discipline him, preferring to wait for good behaviour. That however, takes time - a very long time.

As for worms, the vet treats him for all of that stuff so I know he doesn't have them. I think it might just be a funny twitch he started as a puppy and now still does. But I'm still open to suggestion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home