Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm trying an experiment with the barking. For the last week or so, every time he barks at me for whatever reason, I jump up, grab a toy, and say "Speak!" Then when he barks a second time, I give him the toy and say "Good Dog!" Then there is a mad bout of "Speak!" and "Bark!" and "Good Dog!" and he gets a slightly confused look on his face. But he keeps barking and I make sure I say "speak" before each bark and then praise him for it. After a few minutes of this really loud silliness, I say "finish - good dog" and go into another room and do something. He usually only barks at me when it looks like (to him) that I'm not doing anything, like sitting at the computer or reading the paper.

This way, when he barks, he gets to be a good dog and when he doesn't bark, he's a good dog. And when he does bark, it seems to him like it might even be my idea and he gets a little play out of it and then it's over. Anyway, this morning, we did this again, and when I said "finish" and went into the kitchen, he lay down and hasn't got back up again to play (yet). It's kind of a lot of work on my part but the potential pay-off could be very rewarding.
legs

2 Comments:

At 6:07 p.m., August 31, 2006, Blogger Natalie said...

Ohh that sounds like a good idea Julia!

I've been trying to teach Petey "Help" but that's not going too well haha

 
At 9:22 p.m., August 31, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Don't give up Nat! Rockwell learned "Wait" and I didn't even know I was teaching it to him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home