Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, August 28, 2006

sleeping off the weekend
We humans had a lovely weekend - our first without Rockwell since we got him. We visited and played golf and had a family reunion. Unfortunately, Rockwell isn't talking about his weekend. We dropped him off at Guide Dogs on Friday morning. He pulled me all the way into the kennels, so excited was he to be there. Then when I handed the leash to Rob, Rockwell turned to pull away from him and it looked like he was saying "Mom! Don't go!" Not really but sort of. Anyway, he knows Rob and the kennels by now so I wasn't worried about him. And of course, is IS their dog and they look after him better than I do even, I suppose.

When we returned on Sunday afternoon to pick him up (we were earlier than agreed), he hadn't been returned yet by someone who had taken him into their home for the weekend. So I was glad that he didn't have to spend all the time in kennels. While we were waiting, the kennel-guy for-the-weekend had a 9 week old black Lab female under his arm and I got to pet her. When they are that age, they are such sweet babies, you could just eat 'em up. We went for coffee and when we got back, Rockwell was there. The kennel guy said that the people who had had him for the weekend enjoyed his company and liked him very much. Their only non-positive comment was that he was "a bit excitable." Since he was jumping up on us in greeting, we said we understood. However, later I wondered is perhaps he had peed in their house in his excitement and maybe that's what they meant. I may never know but I'll try asking Sheila when I see her on Friday. I hope he didn't but it's a possibility. Oh well, it's not my dog!

After we got him home, he seemed a bit subdued. That's the word I think fits it best. He was happy to go out for a walk and happy to be with us and he submitted nicely to my petting him all over. But he seemed a bit detached. Then he went into his kennel unasked and lay there for a while. I think he was tired from being in a new situation more than anything. When he barked at me this morning as I sat at the computer, I knew I had Rockwell and not some other dog! All in all, I think this was good for all of us, to have a little time apart before the final time. It makes us appreciate him more and gives him a sample of what is to come. I am so hoping he will pass and become a real working dog - I don't want the experience of being in kennels and hanging with different folks to put him off. And so far, I think he is doing well with his life experiences.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 p.m., August 28, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Detached? Maybe he was just mad that you didn't take him golfing.

 
At 1:50 p.m., August 28, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, I don't think I've ever seen Rockwell mad. Anyway, dogs can't play golf. I saw a cartoon - I think it was a Far Side - where a dog was hitting the ball off the tee and all the other dogs in the foursome were running after it, barking. It was titled "why dogs don't play golf". Hilarious.

 
At 2:02 p.m., August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Rockwell could pass some of his excitement over to Lyric. She never gets excited. :-(
Glad to hear you enjoyed your break.

 
At 11:13 a.m., September 03, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Gwiz, I forgot about this comment, since I went over to your blog and read your whole post about Lyric not being excitable. On balance, I think I'd rather have the calm dog. :) It suits my more introverted nature. Rockwell is such an extravert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home