Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

It’s gone down to 10C and the winds are gusting to 60 km/h. A blustery day, as Pooh might say. I got the fence back up after the mowers left. It was a little difficult to pound in the garden stakes with a two pound sledge, especially since they are six feet tall, but they appear to be holding. In the meantime, I made some peanut butter cookies because I am housebound, and because Sheila is coming this afternoon. I thought it would be nice if the house smelled yummy when she got here. I have saved the second half of the dough to bake some fresh this afternoon. I did however, learn a lesson. Never leave the dog unwatched. His “signal” to go outside is after all, a look over his shoulder as he sits at the patio door. I was too busy making sure my cookies didn’t burn to see “the look” and I came out of the kitchen to find a thankfully small puddle by the back door. We went out then, and got the mail and he peed a really big puddle once he was outside, so I was extra grateful he had held back earlier. When we got back to the house and I opened the door, the smell of cookies greeted me just the way I had planned.

Earlier today, I was cleaning some fans and when I went to put the front wire grate back on one of them, I dropped the teeny tiny nut that goes on the teeny tiny bolt that holds the safety grate on. I found the bolt but as I was bent over picking it up, the grate came loose and bonked me on the head and the bolt got lost. I was in the kitchen, thinking it would be easier to find things there is I dropped them. So I got down on my hands and knees and shone a flashlight around parallel with the floor, hoping to pick up the bolt in the light. Rocky thought this was a great game and proceeded to jump on my head as I peered under the fridge and the stove. I discovered that I really need to pull the fridge out and clean under it but I didn’t find the bolt. Next, I thought I would sweep very gently around the room to see if I could catch the bolt in the broom. Even though this was the first time I had exposed Rocky to a broom, he reacted to it like any other dog. He jumped at it and bit it and treated it like an interloper. He didn’t bark or growl but he was awfully animated. I wonder what it is about brooms and whisks (he acted the same way with the tiny “broom”) that gets dogs all excited?

3 Comments:

At 4:32 p.m., September 29, 2005, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Hi Rocky and Julia!

My name is Calvin and my foster mom's name is Sam. We are really enjoying your blog.
Peanut butter cookies are our favourite! Sam's mom sometimes makes human ones, and I get yummy ones from our favourite pet store.

Hope your visit with the supervisor went well.

Do you mind if we add a link to your blog from mine?

Calvin

 
At 5:52 p.m., September 29, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hi Calvin! I saw your blog earlier via a link from "Dog's Eye View". Of course you can link to my blog and I will link to yours. I had no idea there were so many puppy walker bloggers!
The supervisor visit went really well and I will blog about it later. But as for treats, Rocky is not allowed ANY. He can ONLY have kibble in his bowl and a few kibbles for training - we did whistle recall for the first time today and used A single kibble. And for puppies, those kibble are pretty darned small! But what he doesn't know, he won't miss.

 
At 9:56 p.m., September 29, 2005, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Glad to hear the visit went well.

No Treats! I can't even imagine it. Even though I can be a picky eater at times, I do like my treats. I am not allowed to have any people food, but Sam uses a mixture of my kibble and other small cookies for rewards when we are out 'working'. (She doesn't understand why I will do anything for a piece of kibble when she's giving it to me, but I don't care for them at all when they are in my bowl. The mysteries of poodles!) :) Glad to hear Rocky doesn't mind though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home