Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

So my theory about walking Rocky too much might be correct. Last night, he had a poop after dinner and one right before bedtime. Unfortunately, he had one at 1am too. But it was only one and not another one at 2 or 4am. However, we had another incident just now that leaves me wondering if I am a bad mother. We’d been up since 6 since today is lawn-mowing day and I helped dismantle the backyard. Peter took the fence down and I coiled up the hose and moved stuff off the grass. Rocky had breakfast and a pee and Peter left for work. We settled into a nice routine where he played or snoozed and I read the paper and the internet. He went to the door to watch the lawn mowers go by. Everything seemed so idyllic.

I decided to go up and brush my teeth, make the bed. He came up with me and I thought we were having such a good time. I was standing in the bathroom and was just about to put toothpaste on my brush when I glanced at him, standing in the bedroom (on the carpet of course) and saw that he was peeing! Now why would he just pee like that? If he had to go, he had opportunity when we were downstairs to ask to go out. I can see that he has not made the connection in his little brain between peeing and going outside. But I am wondering if this is my fault? Maybe I should have done as my mother and mothers everywhere do, before the family goes anywhere. I should have said, before we went upstairs, “does anybody have to go?” Granted, it wasn’t a long trip but I guess the big upstairs with its delights of toilet paper and shoes is a big trip for a little dog. Peter thinks he hasn’t yet made the brain connection about peeing because he is a male. I may have to defer to the wisdom of the male on this one.

3 Comments:

At 12:00 p.m., September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember in grade school it was always the little boys who peed their pants and not the little girls. Maby Rocky is just too shy to tell you he has to go? There must be something on the net about how to nip this in the bud, no?

 
At 2:05 p.m., September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I saw my caretaker go upstairs, take out a funny looking stick with bristles on the end and put some goo on it, it could only mean one thing... time to get my ears cleaned... I know I'd wet my pants!

 
At 2:28 p.m., September 22, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Good theory Logan! But I hadn't actually put the paste on the toothbrush. And he had his back to me so he wasn't watching what I was doing. And I've never cleaned his ears out. Alas, I think he just has not made the connection between peeing and peeing outside. But maybe when Rocky is old enough to have his own Blog, he'll tell me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home