Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, September 23, 2005

I got an hour nap in and was up of my own accord when Guide Dogs called. Yay me!

Guide Dogs suggests that I only use the back yard for letting the puppy relieve himself and not for play time. I have got to make the connection stronger between the act of relieving himself and the command “get busy” and the praise that follows success. If I let him outside and he doesn’t even pee, then he forgets what his purpose was in being let out. If we want to get out for fresh air, we’ll go out the front and walk around the parking lot. Sounds good to me. She also suggested I move his dinner up to 5pm and see what happens. And the mushy poo and the fact that he’s holding it all in until the middle of the night sounds like stress. Yeesh. I have been trying to be laid back! If I were any more laid back, I’d be unconscious. Well, for me, anyway.

I was going to get out of the house once he had a poop today (which he still hasn’t) but now I think I’ll just wait until Peter gets home and then I’ll go out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home