Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, August 14, 2006

I talked with Guide Dogs this morning about leaving Rockwell with them when Peter and I go on a little holiday-business trip at the end of September. I gave them the dates and was told that it was possible they might be doing intake of puppies then so I should be prepared to leave him there for good. Of course, it's still possible their schedule won't permit it - a lot depends on what dogs are graduating and what dogs are ready and how much room there is in the kennels. But it creeps up on you awfully fast - as Jenny knows.
barking
Here is Rockwell barking at me, just this morning. I think he is bored - he had Peter at home all last week and we had guests on the weekend. And now it is just boring old me. I'd better take him for a walk to tire him out.
relaxed
Here is what he looks like under the breakfast table when he has had lots of fun and people to play with him. That was NOT taken today.

3 Comments:

At 12:50 p.m., August 14, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Ack! Julia, if they're not going to take him in...y'know, I've been doing some puppysitting...if Rockwell wants a trip to sunny SoCal for a few days, just stick him on a plane! ;-)

 
At 12:50 p.m., August 14, 2006, Blogger Katherine said...

How are you feeling about giving him up for good? What you're doing is so selfless - I really admire you. I don't think I could do it even though I know it's for a great cause.

 
At 1:02 p.m., August 14, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, our business trip is to California! - San Diego to be precise. But I don't think GD would like it if I took him with us, even if it might be a good experience for him in the long run and even if I told them another puppywalker was willing to play with him in California for the week! You know, I never thought about asking them if I could take him - frankly, I was looking forward to the few days "off" without him, just for the change. I just hadn't thought that I might get back and he'd be gone for good. We'll just have to wait to see which way the cookie crumbles.

Katherine, I did do this once before, 15 years ago with Uma. But she flunked so we got to keep her. I am determined that Rockwell should pass because I want the experience to be complete. He will go and fulfill his destiny as a working dog. Of course it will be tough to give him away but we have known all along that he does not belong to us. And sometimes when he is NOT as good as gold, the idea of giving him back seems a little easier. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home