Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Right after I posted the first message of today (during actually), Rockwell wanted to play. He brings his small kong and bumps me on the leg repeatedly until I interact with him. All the while, he is making those tauntaun noises.
The
Whether or not I do play with him, the tussle with the kong is inevitably followed by his climbing on to my lap. However, what I couldn’t believe when I looked at the next photo in close-up, is how the black is disappearing out of his nose leather! His nose was as black as soot when he first got here. When he leaves next year, I expect it will be practically pink at the rate it’s going.
I accept his invitation

5 Comments:

At 12:22 p.m., December 08, 2005, Blogger M-Fax said...

Bosco's nose is black and always in my business!!

damn crazy chocolates!

 
At 7:08 p.m., December 08, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sam, MFax and Keelin, thanks for the words about the nose! Uma had what we learned at the time was a “snow nose”. L squared calls it “liver nose”. Uma’s nose never went back to black - it just stayed brown for the rest of her life. It will be interesting to see if Rockwell’s goes back to black next summer! I won’t hold my breath. But our neighbour across the courtyard has a six year old Golden and his nose is as black as day one, so I suppose you never know (hello Logan!).

If I figure out an easy way to administer Pepto, I’ll have to think whether I tell people! Wouldn’t it be easier on the puppies if it was easier for the humans? :)

 
At 11:03 p.m., December 08, 2005, Blogger 8675309 said...

I *love* the tauntaun noises. =^)

 
At 11:40 p.m., December 08, 2005, Blogger L^2 said...

My sister's yellow Lab, Talon had a black nose when he was a puppy, but it has gradually taken on a pinkness too. However, that's not the same as a "liver-nosed" Lab. My dogs have no black pigment at all - everything (nose, lips, eye lid skin, foot pads, etc.) is pink or "liver" colored, and they were born that way. I've also heard some people, like Joan, call them "Dudley" noses.

 
At 8:08 a.m., December 09, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Laura, thanks for setting me straight about the “liver nose” I didn’t know that. Both Uma and Rockwell had/have black pigment in their lips, around their eyes and on some toe pads. On Uma, I would also find the rare black hair. It would be all by itself, not like a patch of hair at all. Rockwell’s eyes are so nicely ringed by black that he looks like he’s wearing kohl makeup. Sweet!

Yes Jenny, those little grunty, singing noises are adorable. It balances how annoying it is when he chews on my sleeve. On the other hand, even though it is “a bad thing”, it is sometimes adorable when he also puts his front legs up, very gently on my lap and rests his chest on my thighs. Sometimes he even rests his head on my chest and rolls his eyes up at me. How can you tell THAT to get off?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home