Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, December 02, 2005

The head tilt
Yesterday was our bi-weekly visit with Sheila, the PW supervisor. This time we went over to Loblaws and went into the store, where Rockwell sat and watched all the people go by. He was most attracted to children and would break out of the “sit” and lunge if we let him. However, he did settle well and recover quickly so Sheila pronounced him ready to be taken into stores if I wanted. I said I would take him with Peter or when I grew a third arm but not by myself and actually attempt to get any groceries. He is still a handful when seeing people and I’m not sure I would be able to keep my sanity trying to push a cart, put things into it, and keep Rockwell from committing mayhem.

Also, his rash has come back. Just a few spots on the inner, right hind leg but they are new. So we’re renting a car for Tuesday and I’ll take him to the vet and we’ll get him well checked out. It’s not bad timing either since I can go get a bunch of stuff to get ready for Christmas baking (never mind the liquor store). I was out today on my bike and in the morning, it was fine with temperatures above freezing. However, I went out again in the afternoon and everything was freezing over, the temperature had dropped to minus 4C and the winds had really picked up, gusting to 50kph. It was exhilarating, if nothing else!

Finally, we have decided to call the dog by his proper name “Rockwell”. This has come about for a number of reasons. We have learned that he is sponsored and therefore, it is possible someone named him Rockwell for a reason and it would be in bad form for me to ignore that and call him “Rocky”. Secondly, he really doesn’t seem like a “Rocky” - he has presence and a personality that really does seem more like a more formal name like “Rockwell”. And when Peter exerts his Alpha Dog self and calls him “Rockwell”, his head snaps right around and his attention is undivided! Thirdly, my mother named me Julia and for the first 20 years or so, she had to put up with me rejecting that name and insisting on being called “Julie”. It was the 60s and I thought Julia was just NOT the right name for me and the time. When I got to university, I realized that Julia was a lovely name and so I became Julia, for my mother. [In fact Mum, I am probably closer to “Jule” which is what the family ended up calling me anyway, but in public, I AM “Julia”! And Mum, if you are actually reading this, give me a sign. :) ]

9 Comments:

At 10:50 p.m., December 02, 2005, Blogger IndyPindy said...

Rockwell? I wondered who you were talking about! It took me a LONG time before I learned to stay calm in PetSmart...I don't know what I would do in a grocery store with all of the food smells! I used to sing when mom and dad wanted to stop and look at the birdies...now I sit and look at them, or check out the hamsters, which are right next to the birdies!

 
At 10:11 a.m., December 03, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Indy, I went back to the archives to check and I did call him Rockwell in the first several entries but gave it up fairly quickly. He’ll probably end up being called both but for sure in public, I will be calling him Rockwell.

That is so funny that you sang when other people wanted to watch the birds! I wish I could have been there to see that. As for the grocery aisles, I can hardly wait. :)

 
At 1:53 p.m., December 03, 2005, Blogger Natalie said...

Yay Rockwell! ;)

Can't wait to hear more of your grocery store adventures! (And the story of how your mommy grew a third arm! LOL)

Nat :)

 
At 2:31 p.m., December 03, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Nat, when are you going to get your puppy? We need more updates!

For now, my third (and fourth) arms will be my husband. He'll have a choice - take the dog or get the groceries. I'm betting he goes for the groceries and leaves the dog to me. :)

 
At 9:42 p.m., December 03, 2005, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

We like the name Rockwell alot! It's very dignified, just like "Calvin." I must admit, Sam often calls me Cal, or even Callie. But for times when I'm supposed to be 'working' I get Calvin.

 
At 8:48 a.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger M-Fax said...

Rockwell is one cool looking dog himself. Bosco says hi!

the story behind the stretch limo was I moved from Toronto to Halifax and none of the cabs would take Bosco in his large plane crate. So I had to rent a limo! the driver was nice and let Bosco ride free of his crate.

I will add you to my blog roll

have a great weekend

http://chocolate-dog.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:51 a.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

I agree Calvin, that Rockwell has a certain gravitas to it. But sometimes, I even end up calling him “Rockwee” when I get confused. I guess as long as it starts with “rock” it should work.

M-Fax, say hi back to Bosco. Nice of that limo driver - good for him. And thanks for the blog roll support! I can’t remember if you’re already on mine but if not, I’ll add you. Cheers!

 
At 1:43 p.m., December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia, this is your mother typing!! Several years ago you made a point of telling me you wanted to be called Julia. Hey, I took the hint---and Julia you are,only occasionally are you Jule.Now if you want to set up a new set of rules, just let me know. In the meantime, my rules remain the same. Just call me mum!!

 
At 4:40 p.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Young and Beautiful, OMIGOD. This is what Cox calls a miracle - “a highly improbable event”. I immediately checked the sky for airborne Sus scrofa domesticus because my mother is using a computer and posting to a blog! Next thing I know, she might read www.dooce.com. Well if THAT ever happens, I will have to buy lottery tickets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home