Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

There’s a story behind this, maybe two.
Waiting to be let back in
I don’t talk on the phone much and Peter hardly uses his phone when he’s home, so I haven’t put two and two together until recently. Anyway, it has come to our attention that Rocky “reacts” when we’re on the phone. I’m not sure whether he likes it or hates it, but he sure reacts. After I’ve talked for just a minute, Rocky comes over to me and, if I am sitting on a chair, he jumps on me. Naturally, I turn my face away so he can’t get at the phone and so he attacks the back of my head. If I stand up to get away from him, he comes after me and jumps on my back, biting me in the leg or the bum. Then I’m on the run and the last time, I shut myself in the bathroom to get away from him. Today, Peter called on his way home and suddenly, I am being attacked by said dog. I finally get up and make a break for the back door, with him snapping at my bum the whole time. I open the door and he runs out and I cleverly outwit a puppy by shutting the door with me on the inside!

When I finish my conversation, I call Rocky to “come”. Of course, he looks at me but doesn’t move. I call “come” several more times and nothing. So I shut the door (it’s cold out there again!) and walk to the front of the house where his food is kept. Now he “comes”, up the steps to peer in the glass at me. He claims that he doesn’t know what “come” means but if I make a move toward to food bucket, he comes running. After I took the photo, I let him in and gave him a single kibble as I called “come!”.

6 Comments:

At 9:56 a.m., December 01, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sam, it IS interesting what they react to. And they all have their quirks!

 
At 10:08 a.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger Faira said...

Too funny. I had a cat once that had a phone fetish! But she would jump up on the phone while I was at work and knock the phone to the floor. She liked the sound of the phone on speed dial! When we started getting long distance charges for calls we had not made on our phone bill and friends said they were getting some strange calls from me I decided to check into it; the calls were made when only, Sister (my cat) was home! When I caught her doing it one day and a long distance friend was at the other end, I knew for a certainty, I had found my long distance caller. So as I didn't want to put her out while I was at work each day, I took all long distance numbers out of my speed dial, warned all my local friends if they got any heavy breather calls from me to disregard them, put the phone more out of her reach and bought her a childs phone that made the dialing noises she liked.
But I don't know what to tell you to protect your Bum!
Now thats a probum!!!LOL!

 
At 10:21 a.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger Faira said...

My Grandmother could never get her cat to come when she called him and she solved that by renaming her cat Dammit. She told me the only time he ever came to her when she called him was when she yelled out the door, Dammit get in here.LOL! I never did remember the cats original name.
But what can I say about grandma, she named another of her cats, Heshe, because she said it never was in one place long enough to lift its tail. My grandmother was a card and we all loved her dearly, and even though she is gone now, WE ... all of her loved ones share laughing tears at some of her antics!!! She is still a grandmother well loved!

 
At 2:58 p.m., December 04, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Faira, funny cat stories. Even though I am not a mother and therefore won’t be a grandmother, I want to be like those feisty old grandmas you described. I’ll be the wacky neighbourhood old lady with the chihuahua (after I’m 85 or so, I’ll get a small dog that I won’t have to wrestle with).

A dear friend of mine who cannot seem to make “comments” work (Betty if you are reading this, you’re halfway there!) said she used to have a cat they called “Joe Clark” because “we didn't know where he came from, he wasn't any good for anything and we didn't know how to get rid of him.” You might have to be Canadian to appreciate this one. :)

 
At 2:35 p.m., March 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i admire people like you that loves animals and not only that trains them to help others. the world should have more people like you!

 
At 10:09 a.m., March 31, 2007, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Anonymous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home