Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

We've already had an update from Guide Dogs. It turns out that Rockwell just had a weekend to enjoy himself with other dogs in a casual setting and now he is going into kennels for training! He went to a nice family with two other dogs on Friday and they really enjoyed having him. He got to play with other dogs and have people tell him how cute he is. And now there is a vacancy in kennels so he will be going there Tuesday to start his formal training.

Now, the first little while in kennels is a big adjustment so it is like a honeymoon period for the new dogs The trainers and others at kennels will be playing with Rockwell more than working and he will have a good chance to settle in and get comfortable. During this time, he will of course be assessed regularly to make sure he is happy. Those folks at the Guide Dogs really love their dogs and I am content that Rockwell will be there. In fact, over the weekend, I worried that he might feel anxious because he was in a new setting but my worry was for nothing. He is such an outgoing little fellow that he seems to fit in wherever he is. I am so pleased.

Now as promised, some photos. Peter set the camera up on a tripod and used the remote to trip the shutter.
final evening 1
I love this one - it looks like Peter is showing Rockwell something he should know about on the computer.
final evening 2
The television is on and I am in my usual pose - prone on the small couch.
final evening 3
I reach over and Rockwell licks my hand.
There are about 15 of these in a series and it makes for a nice slide show but I won't inflict that on the blog reader.
where's my house?
Peter has moved the kennel to the garage for the next morning and Rockwell is wondering where his house went. He really seemed to like this location for the kennel, better than the first place I put it, in the dining room.
in the corner one last time
When he was a wee small puppy, he would often squeeze between the couches and under the table in the corner. He hadn't done that in months but for some reason, he went into the corner on that last evening.

2 Comments:

At 4:10 p.m., September 19, 2006, Blogger Sandy said...

I still think you're braver than me. I don't think I could raise a dog for a year and then pass them on to someone else. Even knowing the wonderful things he'll be able to do and the added quality of life he'll bring to someone, I still don't know if I could do that. What a journey!

 
At 4:53 p.m., September 20, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sandy, I don't know if it is bravery. It must be like raising kids and then they leave home at 18, hopefully never to return (as my mother might say!). I wanted to do some kind of volunteer thing and since I'd done it once before, albeit 15 years previously, it seemed like just the thing. I'm still adjusting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home