Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Today, we had to travel down to Kingston and near Napanee. Peter's mother is very ill and a visit could not wait. I wanted to keep him company so we simply piled Rockwell in the car and headed out. I called my parents who live on the way (in Kingston) and they graciously agreed that I could stay for the day with them. My Dad is very allergic to dogs so I thought we should just hang out at a mall but they said, "nonsense" and insisted I bring Rockwell along to their apartment.
anxious to get going
Rockwell loves riding in cars and if one pulls into the driveway, he leaps out of the house and into the car without a by-your-leave. We draped the back seat with an old sheet and he is looking out the rear window, wondering why we aren't on the road yet.
woo! takin' my picture!
Driving down the highway, I held the camera out at arm's length to take his picture and he pulled back just in time for the photo to catch his ears, catching on the seat.
who's the mom that I love?
While Peter drove on to near Napanee to sit with his mother, my parents took us out to lunch. We sat at a sidewalk cafe and I gave the camera to Mum to take his photo when he popped his head above the table.
waiting patiently
After much licking of the pavement under the table, he settled to watch the world go by (mostly).
Dad being hauled along
At one point, I gave my Dad the leash and got this photo of Rockwell with his tongue hanging out, hauling Dad along the sidewalk as if his life depended on it. Dad's hand is only a little bit blue from having the circulation cut off by the leash.
Parental portrait with Dog
Finally, I got this little portrait of my folks with Rockwell.

Peter had a nice visit with his mother and I got to be grateful for the great parents that I have.

5 Comments:

At 11:21 p.m., July 24, 2006, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

We send our best wishes to Peter, his mother, and family.

I cannot get over how grown-up Rockwell looks in that last picture.

Sam and Patience

 
At 7:26 a.m., July 28, 2006, Blogger Sandy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Peter's mum. I hope things work out for the best.

Boogie and Pearl love riding the car. It usually means they are headed to the "Bunny Deck".

 
At 10:36 a.m., July 28, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks all for your best wishes. Peter's mother passed away the next day so it was a good thing we went down when we did. He's doing well under the circumstances and Rockwell is giving him lots of extra affection.

 
At 12:51 a.m., July 29, 2006, Blogger M-Fax said...

great pics.......ah rockwell you are growing up so fast.

 
At 9:15 a.m., July 29, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks MFax, Rockwell really IS growing up nicely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home