Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, January 20, 2006

A follow-up on the command problem:

We did some work in the park today, on an expandable leash. I brought a pocket full of kibble with me and when Rockwell was at the end of the leash and not looking at me, I would call “come”, use the hand signal and he would run toward me and get a kibble. I think I did this about 20 times and each time when I first called his name, he would turn to look at me and then run toward me when I called “come”. It worked so well and I was so pleased. Until we walked out of the park that is. As soon as we were back in the parking area (I think it may have been because it was so familiar to him), I tried calling “come” and he looked at me and then completely ignored me! Argh. I hauled him toward me using the leash anyway and made him sit and gave him a kibble. But twice he ignored me. So it still needs a lot more work.

4 Comments:

At 9:36 p.m., January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes time but it will eventually sink in that "come" means no matter where I am, or what I am doing, I must go back to my handler. Great idea using the command in different places. My pet dog (Molson) has fantastic recall so when I'm out with the him and a puppy, I put their leashes together and call their names and "come". So far that trick has worked with all my puppies to teach "come" in the very beginning. Molson seems to know he's 'training' the puppies as well so he doesn't race back to me but ensures they are following him, not being dragged behind!
;-)).I also work with the pup solo to ensure they know without him they still need to listen.
Hang in there

 
At 9:05 a.m., January 21, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Gwiz, I have heard that older dogs will train younger ones. That would be fun to watch. Yes, I have resigned myself to always having kibble in a pocket and when the moments present themselves, ask Rockwell to "come". He does it nicely in the house when he knows there is a kibble coming. It's just harder to get him in from the yard when there are so many interesting things out there like rocks! I figure I can work on this gradually over the next 6 months and have it "down" by summer.

 
At 10:49 a.m., January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia......it's amazing to watch the pups with Molson... he's fantastic with them. I gather the gang together (inside or out) and start running through commands. The puppy is clueless in the beginning but quickly learns to watch the big guy and do what he does. It really helps that Molson is extremely obedient and willing to please. Fortune is another story unless food is involved! It's neat to see that light bulb finally click and the pieces fall in place with the little ones. We're now working on ASL signs paired with verbal commands with Lyric. All my dogs are trained to respond to voice, ASL and hand signals so the kids at work can communicate with them as well.

Keep plugging away.....sounds like your organization is happy with Rockwell's progress.

 
At 6:02 p.m., January 21, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks, Gwiz. I appreciate the support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home