Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It looks kind of big and bare in his new crate so I was trying to think what I could sacrifice to make it comfy in there, when I hit myself up the side of the head. After Uma died, I washed all of her bedding and folded it away, perhaps to give to a shelter later. It was still sitting down in the laundry room. I brought up one of the pads she used to sleep on and zipped it into a cover and presto, Rockwell has a very comfy retreat now.
New door and new cushion
I had my whole head and shoulders in there, rolling the back end of the pad to make it fit, when Rockwell decided to get into the act too. The two of us were stuck in the doorway for a few seconds, until I pulled my way out and he forced his way in. Since no one was there as a witness, neither of us lost any dignity.

Speaking of dignity, I have mentioned before how Rockwell not only chases his tail but when he catches it, he walks around with it in his mouth. And he doesn’t walk in a straight line but instead, makes circles while he heads in a general direction. In the next photo, I caught him in the act, going up the stairs in this fashion. One paw is lifted as he heads to his right and up the next step.
Tail chasing again

6 Comments:

At 11:13 p.m., January 11, 2006, Blogger Splash said...

Now that's a great skill, holding your tail while going upstairs! I wish we had stairs....we are flatlanders around here.

We love your blog!

 
At 9:24 a.m., January 12, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Splash, I don't know how much of a "skill" it is... he looks pretty goofy doing it!

 
At 11:20 a.m., January 12, 2006, Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

My mom has a lab-golden mix also, and Daisy's a great dog. When she decided it was time to get Daisy a companion, she wanted another lab-golden mix, but couldn't find any. She ended up with a black lab puppy instead. She originally planned to breed the puppy with a Golden Retriever when she was old enough, but I think she may have changed her mind. If one puppy is a lot of work, imagine 10 or 12! It's a great mix, though.

If Rockwell can walk backwards up the stairs like that, he ought to be able to guide anyone anywhere!

 
At 2:11 p.m., January 12, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

I don't know about the guiding, Gardener! He walks in circles while he does this so it might make someone pretty dizzy. :)

 
At 3:42 p.m., January 12, 2006, Blogger M-Fax said...

bosco is 2.5 and still chases the his tail all the time

its priceless

 
At 4:28 p.m., January 13, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

I guess they don't out-grow it quickly, MFax!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home