Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

We had to go for a walk and it sure looked nice out there - all sunny and bright. But it was minus 16C with a windchill that makes it feel like minus 26C so we humans bundled up. I wore the silly wind pants and had to cover my face. But Rockwell just went outside naked and didn’t mind it a bit.
Minus 20 C and no problem for the dog!
We used the non-regulation expandable leash and he flew along, energized by the cold.
Pup airborne!
He was alert too, stopping to wonder who that person walking toward him might be.
Who's that over there?
The wind we’d had the day before had blown down some new branches for toys and Rockwell seized his opportunity.
Loves the sticks.
I love this one - the end of his nose comes into focus as he scampers by with his trophy.
Stick in motion!
All photos credit Peter, who risked frostbite to take them. Don’t forget you can click on them to see the larger versions at Flickr if you want.

9 Comments:

At 10:08 a.m., January 16, 2006, Blogger Katherine said...

I love dogs! No need to spend $$ on toys from a store when there are plenty of branches available.

 
At 12:06 p.m., January 16, 2006, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

-16C feeling like -26C!!!! My goodness, my human is already in his down jacket, scarf and woollen cap when it's 10C here in HK.

Not us though eh Rockwell, we thrive in cold weather!

Later!
Cream

 
At 12:16 p.m., January 16, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Katherine, I agree about the toys. It’s like kids who play with the boxes.

Cream, I do remember once or twice in Uma’s 14 years that she didn’t want to stay out for long. But that was when it dipped below minus 30C and there was a windchill to minus 40C. That doesn’t happen very often even here. Maybe Indy Pindy wouldn’t mind!

 
At 2:07 p.m., January 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder why Rockwell looks so much bigger indoors than out.

I was also wondering - since it's a wondering kind of day - did you get to name him, or is that done by the Guide Dog people?

 
At 2:16 p.m., January 16, 2006, Blogger M-Fax said...

bosco brings home pretty much every stick he can. He has a motto.....leave no stick behind.

 
At 2:19 p.m., January 16, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Zoom. Maybe he looks bigger inside because our house is so small! Usually guide dog puppies are alphabetized and the folks at the Guide Dogs choose the names. Uma was one of eight puppies of the 1990 "U" litter. Her sibs were Unice, Uri, Usher... and I forget the rest. When she flunked and we took her back as a pet, we just kept her name as it seemed like her by then.

Rockwell came up from the U.S. with two of his sibs but their names don't begin with "R". I think he was named by someone who sponsored him - but I can't find any info about sponsoring on the Guide Dog web site.

 
At 2:03 a.m., January 17, 2006, Blogger Sam I Am said...

You are still having snow there,Rockwell looks like he is enjoying him slef .He also likes sticks like Sam I am, I like to carry them around with me and bring them in the house,

 
At 7:43 p.m., January 17, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

You take the best action shots, Julia! I love the ears flapping in the wind as Rockwell runs....

 
At 8:40 p.m., January 17, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

MFax, that’s pretty funny - “leave no stick behind”!

Sam I Am, Rockwell is pretty good about leaving the stick outside - if you ask him to.

Jenny, I will pass on your compliments to Peter, as he was the photographer that day. He is better at it than I am but I am home with Rockwell more, so it evens out. I love the ears too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home