Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Yesterday, we worked on walking with the steady and leave commands. Peter and I went for a walk with Rocky in the morning and we worked on the commands some. But it’s distracting to have more than one person and of course, people want to talk (that includes me). So I decided to take him out later by myself, when Peter was out on his bike. I was able to focus totally on Rocky and we walked along with a steady stream of “leave” and “steady” coming from me and he walked very well. When we got back to the neighbourhood, there were four boys playing road hockey with a tennis ball and it took a huge effort on my part to keep Rocky from joining in. He just loves children - they must seem like big puppies to him and the more boisterous, the better. We’d walk one step and then he’d be lunging out at the end of the leash, strangling himself, so I’d make him sit and wait. Then I’d say “come” and he’d lunge. I think it took us 10 minutes to walk 50 feet. But it got done and he listened, sort of.

Earlier, I wanted to go work on some sewing for my sewing blog
and since Peter wasn’t around, Rocky came up with me. Mostly, he sat and looked out the window at whatever was moving outside.
Rocky at sewing room window
The window in the sewing room goes down to about a foot and a half from the floor, so Rocky can see out fairly easily. (I’ve been thinking I could build a window seat there.) He watched the birds and the people come and go. When the boys came out to play hockey, he put his little paw up on the windowsill so he could get a better look at them. Too sweet for words.
Rocky wanting to play outside

4 Comments:

At 4:17 p.m., November 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rocky is so sweet at the window! And he was so good last night, surrounded by all these new faces! What a luv!!

 
At 4:32 p.m., November 06, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Welcome out of lurker mode Carmen! I hope to see more comments from you in the future! I have another pic to post shortly, as Rocky was watching the rain and listening to thunder today. So far so good with the thunder too.

 
At 7:35 p.m., November 06, 2005, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Wow, Rocky looks so sweet there. I almost called out his name to take him for a walk!

Congrats with him being fine with the thunder. Cream turns to jelly when Mr Thunder is around. :(

Take care!

 
At 8:04 a.m., November 07, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks fur kids! He can be very sweet, when he isn't gnawing on your sweater. Will post thunder story soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home