Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Rocky’s reaction to thunder was practically anticlimactic. We finally got some real thunder and lightening yesterday. Rocky was upstairs with me when it started, so I opened the window a little so he could hear and smell better. He stood on the windowsill with his front legs and showed a real interest in the rain. When we’d get a roll of thunder, it appeared as though he was listening to it but because he couldn’t tell exactly what it was or where it came from, he wasn’t interested. I said, “what’s that?” in my puppy voice but he didn’t even cock his head, he just watched the rain and the leaves in the wind.
Rocky listening to thunder
Later we were downstairs when the second wave of the storm went by and I sat with him at the patio door and we watched the lightening and listened to the thunder. He acted as if it might be television - flashing lights and funny noises coming from some place he didn’t understand. Who cares, said he. In fact, he was far more interested in watching the rain drops roll down the window and “disappear” once they hit the bottom, than he was in thunder or lightening.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 a.m., November 08, 2005, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Wtg Rocky! Good on ya! You're gonna have to pass some of your bravery to me.

Take care!

 
At 7:57 a.m., November 09, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

I hope you get brave too, Furkids. I make a game of anything new and so far, Rocky has responded nicely. When we walk by something new on a familiar street (like a pile of flyers to be delivered) and Rocky's hackles go up, I say "What's that?" in a voice that indicates we have just discovered something wonderful. I encourage him to go over and investigate on his own (I don't drag him over) and once he smells it and has a taste, he's good to go.

However, I am not sure this will work with everything! And I can hardly wait to have an encounter with a horse. I remember Uma's reaction to her first horse and even she was intimidated. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of horses within walking distance (ha!) so we will have to make an effort to find some. We can always go see the wonderful horses at the RCMP stables. Once we are on the buses travelling, that would make an excellent destination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home