Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, October 28, 2005

This morning, we had a successful outing with our puppy walking supervisor Sheila. We drove over (in Sheila’s car) to the College Square shopping centre parking lot. Since it was only 9am, the place was pretty quiet. We walked a little and Rocky stopped to pee, which he should do anyway, before he has his jacket on. Then we put his jacket on and Sheila arranged the leash so it worked a bit like a harness over his chest (she has a name for this and I have completely forgotten it). I walked him first and he behaved nicely, not pulling much and listening to my “leave” commands. After I finished showing off the results of his walking lessons with me, Sheila worked him around the lot and that’s when I could see how cute and small he really is. Of course, I completely forgot to take the camera.

We saw at one point that he looked like he was sitting to pay attention to something and we both realized suddenly he was having another nervous pee! We forgot to take his jacket off too so he realizes he shouldn’t pee with it on. Oh well. From there, we went into the foyer of the Loblaws and he sat and watched all the people coming and going and was a very good little dog. Finally, we left and took his jacket off and he could be a puppy again.

Sheila was concerned with that rash thing he has but I showed her that it didn’t seem to bother him much and it wasn’t itching him or raw or anything. I also said the vet had told me to treat it with alcohol for a month and it had only been a little over two weeks. She left satisfied and I was happy with a good report card too.

We decided that we would rent a car this weekend so we could clean out the garage and make room for the patio furniture for the winter. When I got back from getting the car and a load of groceries around noon, I let Rocky out of his crate and he immediately went into the mad dog routine. So much for being such a good dog! The only picture I have for today (so far anyway) is one we took last night. I think Rocky looks huge in the picture but it is just a little perspective problem. And just so you know, Rocky is not technically ON the couch - he is on Peter’s lap.
Peter and Rockwell share a moment

2 Comments:

At 4:41 p.m., October 28, 2005, Blogger My Daily Struggles said...

Check out my blog. It's a SHOCKER! I was almost committed to a mental hospital because of the things I disclosed. You won't believe it.

By the way, your dog is cute. Wish I could have a dog. My aprtment doesn't permit dogs.

 
At 5:16 p.m., October 28, 2005, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Great Job Rocky!

Sounds like you had a fun morning. Keep up the good work.

What a big boy you are growing up to be!

Sam and Calvin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home