Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005


Yesterday, we went for three walks around the streets of the ‘hood. Until Rocky gets all his vaccinations (in three weeks from now) he can only walk on the street and not on the grass. But still, we are enjoying our little walks. He has no hesitation in peeing on the pavement when he has to go, unlike Uma who looked for just the right spot on the grass. Actually, she started out her life peeing on snow and in the first Spring of her life, as the snow melted, she found it harder and harder to find the proper spot to pee until she finally gave up and peed on the grass instead. We’ll see if the opposite affects Rocky.

We walked in the mid morning, after lunch and again after dinner. Nothing too exciting but he did poop on the after dinner walk so I had hopes for the night time. Alas, it was not to be. At 4 minutes to 1am I jumped out of bed and let him out and he had a mushy poo. When I got back upstairs after putting him back in his crate and flushing his poo and having a pee of my own, I was startled to notice that my clock said 1:04. All that (including getting dressed and undressed) took only 8 minutes. I looked out the window and was amazed to note that it had started to rain! Good timing Rocky, I thought. Not a drop while we were out there.

So I lay there wondering if I could get back to sleep quickly and wondering if he would have to go out again and if it would be raining then. Suddenly, I heard him crying. I jumped up and let him out for another mushy poo that in fact, was probably just the second part of the first one. I didn’t notice at the time that the patio stones were hardly wet and it wasn’t raining. When I got back to bed, I looked at the clock and was startled to see that it said 2:04. Apparently, I had been asleep for nearly an hour! And the rain that was promised had failed to materialize except for a brief shower.

For some reason, at 2am, I didn’t go right back to sleep so when the morning rolled around, I was sleeping hard. Peter had to get up anyway to go to work and sent me an email later to say: “Rocky didn't pee or poop either time I let him out.  I've noticed when he has to go he just goes and doesn't fool around on the way to the lawn.  He distracted himself with imaginary insects in the all the cracks both times and then laid down on the wet grass and stretched.  So I chucked him back in his house, full of breakfast, pee and poo.”

Another exciting morning at the Rocky household.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home