Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Peter's away for a couple of days so I didn't have him for back-up. I was taking a shower and didn't think to close the bathroom door. Suddenly, there was Rockwell, pushing his nose in where it didn't belong, trying to lick the water coming from the faucet. I tried shooing him away and he'd appear at the other end of the tub. He would stick his whole head under the shower curtain and seemed to really be enjoying himself. I tried to give the command "leave" but I fear I was laughing too much to sound dominant. Mostly, I wanted to rinse off as fast as I could before he got completely soaked or jumped right into the tub with me.
not really subdued
Finally I finished my shower and went to grab the camera which was thankfully just down the hall in my sewing room. I wanted to get a snap of Rockwell before I towelled him off. He may look cowed here but I assure you, he was not.
laughing about being all wet
Then I asked him to sit up so I could get a better photo and this is what I saw. What a dog!

6 Comments:

At 9:33 a.m., July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too cute!!!! It must be easy to bathe him?

 
At 9:37 a.m., July 10, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Carmen, IF we were allowed to give him a bath, I am sure it would be easy. But Guide Dogs doesn't want their dogs washed any more than strictly necessary (i.e. never, if you can keep them clean with brushing) because it strips the oils from their coat. So we have never bathed Rockwell! When he was neutered, he came back smelling of puppy shampoo so I know he's been given one bath.

 
At 2:00 a.m., July 11, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Julia, this is hilarious -- I don't know how you managed to keep from dissolving entirely into giggles! Fortunately, I have a shower door, not a shower curtain, or I'm certain Lomax would do the same.

 
At 10:27 a.m., July 11, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, the head kept poking in here and there and back over here - he got soaked but just on the head. And his tongue lolling out - it was too funny. If you click on the pix and go to Flickr, you can see them larger and get a better effect of the wet head.

 
At 4:42 p.m., July 20, 2006, Blogger ranger said...

hi rockwell...i like to lick the shower stall too when my mom takes a shower. i love your picture!! visit me sometime!

-*woof*

 
At 7:33 p.m., July 20, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Ranger! I visited your blog and left some comments too! You look like you have lots of fun with your family. You get to do things like swimming that Rockwell isn't allowed to do but he gets to go to restaurants and malls and place other dogs can't. I think it all evens out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home