Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

On Monday while I was out teaching, we had a brief but powerful thunder, lightening and rain storm. We lost power twice in the classroom but while it was on, for fun I tracked the blob on the radar on the computer terminal in the classroom. Peter was at home, alone with Rockwell when it hit. Lots of lightening and thunder, maybe more than Rockwell has ever seen during the day time. At one point, Peter turned around while he was in the kitchen making himself a sandwich and there was Rockwell, lying close by his feet. Peter chuffed him up and said, "let's go look at the storm" and so they did.
during the storm
Once Peter showed him there was no reason to fear the storm, then Rockwell was fine about it too. The rain just came in torrents and lashed all the windows.
dog in motion
At the end, there was a huge lake in the parking area but it slowly drained.
apres le deluge
Exciting weather aside, Rockwell's ear has reached the point where I will take him to see the vet at CGDB on Tuesday. Sheila said I was keeping the yeast at bay with the vinegar but it wasn't going away. On this note, may I recommend you go visit this wonderfully written vignette of dog ear cleaning? With pictures and everything. Thanks Gwiz!

7 Comments:

At 8:48 p.m., June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Julia! I had to add a disclaimer to that post. Apparently a few people took me seriously. I do clean the puppy's ears.

 
At 9:48 p.m., June 22, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Gwiz, I saw your added disclaimer and I wondered who had dumped on you. It IS amazing (and interesting in a way) how people will feel free to criticize just about any darned thing. Look at those "famous" bloggers like Dooce and Finslippy who complain about the trolls they get. Anyway, I thought your little "story" was brilliant and I think others will too.

 
At 10:15 p.m., June 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, well...........you know how it is. It takes all kinds to make up this strange world of ours. Some have a sense of humour and some don't. *shrug

Looks like the storm in your part of the province was worse than what we had last night. Lyric handled the thunder and lightening like a pro, it didn't seem to bother her at all.

 
At 11:46 a.m., June 23, 2006, Blogger Katherine said...

My poor dog Sampson is so scared of thunderstorms. Unfortunately he has never improved; it's like every storm is the first one. Lots of shaking and panting. I feel so bad for him. I'm glad Rockwell isn't frightened. I imagine that would be a problem for a guide dog if he was.

 
At 8:33 p.m., June 24, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Katherine, I really don't know why some dogs are so afraid of thunder storms. I imagine it may be cues they pick up from their humans, only because dogs are such excellent readers of body language. That is why we went to some lengths to make sure our first guide dog puppy and now Rockwell were persuaded by us to NOT be afraid. We run excitedly to the window or door to look out and see the storm and they are excited because we are. Additionally, neither of us genuinely fear storms so I think that helps.

Gwiz, that's what my mother says - it takes all kinds. :)

 
At 11:20 a.m., June 25, 2006, Blogger Sam I Am said...

Is it possible to clean the puppy's ears. with out cotton balls ,Love the pictures of Rockwell. is there a line ..I am next with the ear cleaning !!!

 
At 11:47 a.m., June 25, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

I don't know Sam - I do know someone in the comments uses makeup pads. But they are still a foreign object in the ear. It's the curse of the flop-earred dog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home