Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Good point from Lileks today about keeping an eye on your dog for the next few days. Our fireworks are tomorrow and his are the 4th but it's all fireworks.

The fireworks have begun. Occasional detonations up and down the block. Jasper hates them. He will not leave my side. Thunder he can take; my guitar playing unnerves him not. (Which makes him unique.) The sudden screech of a bottle rocket, however, makes him nervous. Last year on the fourth I put him in the garage, but that wasn’t good enough – he tried to get into my car, as I discovered the next day when the sunlight hit the scratches.

This is his worst time of the year. Unexplained large ambient noises without context: dog hell.

5 Comments:

At 11:21 a.m., June 30, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

OH, yes...looking forward to this little experiment. Lomax's first puppy raiser said he spent last year's 4th of July in the kennels at the school, so she doesn't know how he'll react to fireworks.

He'll be with me on that day, but we'll be at a party very, VERY near a big fireworks show....

Good luck to you, Rockwell! We'll have to trade reports!

 
At 9:16 a.m., July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam's petrified of fireworks and thunderstorms, so this is a BAD WEEK for him. (I'm hoping his deafness will make the fireworks less stressful than in previous years...but I've noticed he still hears thunder.)

 
At 4:20 a.m., July 04, 2006, Blogger Eve said...

Hi Julia, I found your blog.. oh I cannot remember.. Anyway I have added you to my links on my Just Labs blog roll, I think they are a pretty special breed. I am writing about my lab Taz. If you like please come and visit us http://mylabtaz.blogspot.com

we'll be back!
Taz & Eve

 
At 9:20 a.m., July 04, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, good luck with Lomax tonight!

Zoom,sometimes a little paw-holding is just what they need. :)

Eve, welcome to my blog! I have had a look at Taz and he is wonderful. I'll add you to my blog roll too.

 
At 3:33 a.m., July 08, 2006, Blogger Eve said...

Thanks! Please come again!

Taz & Eve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home