Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, June 19, 2006

I have finally figured out how to clean Rockwell's ears - I can't believe it takes me this long, sometimes, to figure things out. First, I lured him into the bathroom and shut the door. Now I have a captive audience. Then I soaked a cotton ball in the diluted vinegar solution. This way, I don't have liquid spraying all around AND I can warm up the solution a little because I am holding onto the cotton ball. I put the cotton ball in the entrance of the ear canal and just gently massage the ear from the inside. This way, the vinegar goes into the ear canal but is unnoticed by the dog. After a minute, I pull the cotton ball out and it is covered in dirty ear wax. No pain, no fuss, no vinegar anywhere but where I want it. Oh Rockwell still flung himself to the floor and tried to hide but I wasn't trying to dribble liquid from a squeezy bottle into his ears so the process was far simpler.

3 Comments:

At 11:16 p.m., June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Rockwell! Fortune and Kent hated to have their ears cleaned using the store purchased cleaner, however they had no issue with Mo completing the task. Mo has been on ear cleaning patrol (I know it sounds gross) for 4 years and does a fantastic job. My vet keeps complementing me on how clean the ears are. I guess one of these days I should fess up, huh? I only need to wipe the Labs' ears out once a week or so using a makeup pad. I find they seem to do a better job and are easier to handle than cotton balls.

 
At 10:00 a.m., June 20, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Bunny, I would love to know HOW your vet suggested you might hold her ears open for 10 minutes each day! :) Rockwell tolerates his ears being flipped open but of course, they flop back the moment he moves. Short of putting a clothes pin on them - and I wouldn't recommend it! - I don't know how you'd get them to stay open. So yes, welcome to yeasty world. I am still laughing at a dislocated toe. I know I shouldn't but who ever heard of such a thing? Of course, my first Lab broke her tail and who ever heard of that happening?

Gwiz, I think it is fab that an older dog keeps the younger ones' ears clean. I thought of getting makeup pads just yesterday when I was at the store getting more cotton balls but I am used to the cotton balls so I got them and I think I have enough for the duration.

 
At 6:34 p.m., June 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia, I made a couple of entries just for you. I think you'll find some humour (and probably a bit of reality) in the ear cleaning one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home