Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The other day while I had the vacuum out, I decided to keep on going down the basement stairs and so on, into the laundry room. Usually, when I am vacuuming, Rockwell attacks the attachment used to clean the wood floors (as he does with the Swiffer) but he stays clear of the beater bar attachment that I use on the carpets. Because I was vacuuming wooden steps and heading to a tile floor, I left the beater bar upstairs. As well, since the baby gate came down months ago, we have been keeping the basement door shut but he hasn't seemed that interested in heading down there anyway.

So there I was, vacuuming in the laundry room having left the basement door open, when suddenly I see Rockwell peeking around the edge of the stairs at me. He looked pretty cute but I spoke to him and warned him that he shouldn't come down any further. Of course, his curiosity got the better of him and he slowly made it around the corner, sniffing very tentatively as he went. I noticed too, that he kept his hind legs as far back as possible, stretching himself out so he could get a sniff of what was coming but hanging on to the floor with his back toes "just in case". He even goes into this pose outside sometimes, when he is faced with something unusual and thinks he should keep his options open for making a quick getaway.

6 Comments:

At 2:56 p.m., July 09, 2006, Blogger Natalie said...

Awww! SO cute! We know the pose you're talking about Julia, as Petey does that often- just today he did it today as I ws trying to socialize him with the watermelon, which he has a love/hate relationship with ;)

 
At 12:43 a.m., July 10, 2006, Blogger Mavis Ang said...

love the dog!

 
At 9:43 a.m., July 10, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Okay Natalie, you're going to have to explain about the watermelon!??

Momok, welcome to my blog!

 
At 6:11 p.m., July 10, 2006, Blogger Natalie said...

haha okay!

Well the first time we brought a watermelon home a few months ago, Petey spazzed out jumping around it and barking. It didn't help that my sister rolled it at him, so he thought the watermelon was going to eat him or something.

Yesterday my mom bought a watermelon, and he assumed the "Rockwell pose". Afraid to touch it, yet he couldn't help himself. So he settled for batting at it with the tip of his paw while stretched out in case he needed to run away.

And that's the story..silly dog =P

 
At 7:18 a.m., July 11, 2006, Blogger Sandy said...

I know the pose. Boogalu does it whenever something new appears. Of course, he may have been around the "something new" but put it in a different place and he freaks out. We had a paper bag with stuff in the kitchen for about a month before I decided to take it downstairs. In the basement I set it on something else that needed to go to the shed. In the kitchen, all was fine. In the basement, not good.

 
At 10:22 a.m., July 11, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Oh Natalie, that is SO cute! Your sister has a thing or two to learn about teasing dogs with fruit, however!

Sandy, same with Rockwell! Old thing in a new spot = freak out time. Depnds on the thing too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home