Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I actually and finally started my novel yesterday. I am following The Marshall Plan for writing my first book and it is stimulating all the thoughts that are needed for an idea to become a book. I am still at character development so I can break away easily to do other things without losing the momentum of writing a scene but I can see that blogging might become light if I get carried away with the writing. On the other hand, blogging is a great excuse to procrastinate! So you never know.

A while ago, Peter gave Rockwell an ice cube to chew on because it was so hot. Suddenly, Rockwell has discovered his favourite treat. Now, when you go to the freezer and rattle the ice cubes in the metal container, he appears instantly at the kitchen door, waiting for a treat. When you give him a cube, he grabs it and runs under the dining table to eat his treat in privacy. And he eats it like he chews on stones only because it is ice, it actually gets chewed up and he swallows the little icy bits. Unlike Uma who would often abandon the cube to melt into a little puddle to be stepped in later.
ice cube treat
Here, he didn't even think to close his eyes when the flash went off.
running to hide under the table
There he goes, running around the end of the table.
enjoying the icy crunch
And finally, he gets to enjoy the ice cube crunch.

11 Comments:

At 12:30 p.m., July 05, 2006, Blogger M-Fax said...

good luck with the novel

 
At 5:32 p.m., July 05, 2006, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Best of luck with the writing.

Sam and Patience

 
At 6:34 p.m., July 05, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks MFax and Sam! I'm still at the part where I'm fleshing out the characters and I haven't decided if there's going to be a dog character - can you believe it? I'll try to work one in.

 
At 3:32 a.m., July 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's long overdue that a dog writes a novel! Maybe you can teach Rockwell to write one! You're the first dog I've met who loves stones like my sister does! She won't chase balls but she sure will chase stones!

 
At 9:21 a.m., July 06, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Well Zach, I don't know that Rockwell would be very good with the keyboard. And I'm a stickler for spelling and punctuation (any boo-boos here are simply typos!) so I would have to proofread everything he wrote. No, I think I'll stick to a novel for humans and about humans. But I will see if a dog character can be worked in. Since I already have the plot of this one figured out, I know a dog character can't be a major character otherwise it would change the whole point of the story. Maybe for my next one? And welcome to my blog!

 
At 10:56 a.m., July 06, 2006, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Yes, we agree that you've got to stick a dog in somehow! Even if it's just a minor role.

We look forward to seeing your book in stores and remembering that we knew you when ...

Sam and Patience

 
At 12:17 p.m., July 06, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Lomax thinks the aforementioned novel dog should be yellow, at least part Lab, a stone-chewer and enthusiastic wiggler, and of course very charming.

Good for you -- no, GREAT for you -- that you're writing! We love reading you, Julia!

 
At 12:43 p.m., July 06, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence Sam and Jenny! My main character is an unattached 37 year old female who lives alone with some plants. She can't manage a pet (so she thinks). I am going to have her meet someone and fall in love with him but this is not a main part of the story - the story is about what happens when she manages her deceased aunt's estate. I could give him a charming yellow dog companion but I don't want to complicate things more than they need to be. The story has to work and if I throw in things that don't need to be there, it will look like I've thrown in things that don't need to be there. You know. :)

 
At 2:29 p.m., July 06, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

True...and you and I both know that nothing complicates matters like a yellow dog companion. :P

 
At 7:35 a.m., July 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your novel and don't throw the towel. I think that must be great to write a novel :)

Regards :D

 
At 4:15 p.m., July 07, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Jarapets! There will be no towels thrown for me!

Jenny, ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home