Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

It’s like when your tooth hurts and you finally decide to go to the dentist about it and the tooth keeps hurting - right up until the day you go to the dentist, and then it stops. Today when we went for our morning walk, it was uneventful. I only worked at getting him to not pull so much and mostly I succeeded. I also let him sniff around a lot instead of making him always do what I wanted. So today, he didn’t balk and chew the leash and jump on me. Dare I say it? It was pleasant! Of course, I am still going to ask for advice on the two things this afternoon when the PW supervisor is here: 1) how to get him to walk at MY pace, and 2) how to get him to listen to ME when faced with terrible distraction (i.e. almost everything). Then we’ll work on that for the next month.

In the meantime, my cell phone rang this morning while I was sewing and after fending the dog off a few times, I shut myself in the sewing room and him outside in the hall. I was able to finish my conversation quietly and didn’t hear a THING from the hound outside the door. Finally, when I was finished, I slowly opened the door with my camera ready and saw this pathetic creature.
waiting

2 Comments:

At 2:12 p.m., March 08, 2006, Blogger Sam I Am said...

Worse of all is that reaction to the sound of the word 'walk'. I notice that I has been really bad lately to But it's a DOG thing.

 
At 4:07 p.m., March 08, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sam I Am, we humans forgive the few bad dog parts because there are so many good dog parts. We have to learn to work together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home