Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

I decided to pick the chicken off the bones of a roast we had a few days ago. I was standing at the kitchen counter when Rockwell was lured in by his nose. Here he is, crushing my toes with his elbow.
crushing my toes
I call this one “startled out of a food reverie” by the flash of the camera.
startled out of a food reverie
Waiting, waiting.
waiting
He was in motion for this last shot, having circled around to see if he missed anything and thinking he spotted something on the floor.
what's that!
Although he gets no treats and no human food at all, he still knows what smells good. I am pretty careful not to drop food on the floor but he lies there nonetheless, licking the floor and getting some satisfaction at a molecular level. I was reminded then of the dogs in paintings of English noblemen, faithful beasts lying at their master’s feet and suddenly thought, they’re not faithful at all. Their masters were just sloppy eaters and the dogs were in it for the scraps.

4 Comments:

At 4:52 p.m., February 26, 2006, Blogger Katherine said...

Cute pictures! Sampson licks the floor endlessly - it drives me nuts. Nice slippers by the way. :)

 
At 5:04 p.m., February 26, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Katherine, that is so funny. I call them my old lady slippers or Aunt Marj slippers. My Aunt Marj is 85 so it fits. They are exactly what she buys - Tender Tootsies from WalMart. I got them for the winter because they fit thick socks to keep my feet warm. And they have rubber soles so I won’t kill myself falling down stairs. OMG maybe I AM turning into an old lady! But in the summer, I will post pix of my bare feet in flip flops which is what I wear all the time when it is warm enough. I can’t wait for flip flop season.

 
At 8:08 p.m., February 26, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Lomax wants you to tell Rockwell that he is LUCKY to even HAVE in-the-kitchen privileges. I make my little man stay across the threshold...my kitchen's so small, the last thing I need is someone in my way, licking hte floor! ;)

 
At 10:31 a.m., February 27, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, Rockwell certainly does get in the way, especially whilst licking the floor and sticking his head into cupboards carelessly left open. That floor space is only 5x10 feet and the entire kitchen is 9x10 feet. I'm impressed that Lomax STAYS out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home