Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Just a little later on the 25th:
I decided to take Rocky with me to the pharmacy and I put on his jacket before we even crossed the street. With the lead balanced like a harness, he walked like a true guide dog- until we got across the street! I decided to walk him along the side of the building instead of crossing the little plaza like we usually do. I also thought there would be less salt under the roof overhang and I was right about that. Unfortunately, the salt hit his paws before we got there. Anyway, as soon as we got up to the side of the building, Rocky caught a glimpse of himself in the glass and stopped to admire his looks. I couldn’t pull him away from the glass! We’d trot on for a few feet and then he’d stop dead and stare at himself in the glass. It was funny even if he wasn’t behaving.

In the store, he was so distracted it was a chore to buy anything but we managed. Outside again, he didn’t want to go back the way we came, which was surprising considering he admired himself in the glass so much. Maybe it was the salt? So we went around the building the other way and again, he was very distracted by people. When we came around to the street side, he just sat down and wouldn’t move. He appeared rapt in thought as he looked across the street. Finally I noticed a family with small children coming and that’s what he was looking at. I managed to get a photo of him sitting there, just before he jumped up and tried to jump on the kids.
Guide dog puppy at attention
After we crossed the street, he sat down again but this time, he was trying to lift both front paws off the ground at the same time and I realized the salt in his paws was hurting him. I took his jacket off and we washed his paws in clean snow and went home.

4 Comments:

At 7:34 p.m., November 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with my Service Dog In-Training Chinook, we were in a dressing room and Chinook discovered the mirror. At least it kept him quiet as I tried on clothes.

You can see a picture of Chinook here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Arden/misc/chinook2.jpg

 
At 10:40 a.m., November 26, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Arden, Chinook is beautiful! When Rocky first got here, he discovered himself in the hall mirror and sat there for ages, just admiring how handsome he was. It was prety funny.

 
At 9:18 p.m., November 27, 2005, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Ouch! I hope your paws are fine now Rocky!

 
At 9:46 a.m., November 28, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Don't worry FurKids! We are used to the horrible salt on the puppy paws here and a brisk towelling when we get home sets things to right. If it is really bad, we can get a bucket and dip each paw in it but usually, just running around in the snow will fix it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home