Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, November 28, 2005

We are having freezing rain turning into regular rain and so it is not nice outside. I thought I would do a thorough vacuum today, so I planned to take Rocky on his mid-morning walk and then put him in the crate when we got back so I could clean unmolested. Then I had the not-so-bright idea to brush him right after the walk. He went ballistic. I knew he was just starting the mad dog mode because we had returned from the walk and he always does mad dog then. But I also thought “I am a bad mother because I never groom my dog and now he hates the brush”. But you know, he is a Labrador and has that low maintenance fur, plus he is young and it is Winter and he is not shedding. So why should I brush him? I know - it is a bonding thing and dogs love to be groomed. But I bond with him over many other things, just not the grooming. Anyway, ballistic he went and I had a tough time getting him into the crate. I figure I have ruined him for grooming forever and how am I going to tell Guide Dogs. I vacuum while he cools off. Finally, I am done and I let him out. He appears to harbour no grudge and goes to snooze on the stairs. A little while ago, I looked at him snoozing there and I got the brush and comb out. I went quietly up to him and brushed the side that was up and he didn’t mind it at all. Now I just have to wait for him to turn over and I can do the other side.

4 Comments:

At 12:19 a.m., November 29, 2005, Blogger Sam I Am said...

He is so cute.I want to give him a big hug.

 
At 8:18 a.m., November 29, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Oh yes, he did turn over later and I brushed the other side!

 
At 4:03 p.m., November 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Rocky doesn't want to hold still long enough to get all of him. Lori will attempt more often than I will.

 
At 4:28 p.m., November 30, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Hey Marc (it is with a "c" is it not?).
We used to put the leash on Uma and hang the loop off a doorknob so she couldn't get away, Then we could brush her with less trouble than with her on the loose. I know I said Lab fur was low maintenance but not during the dreaded "Spring shed". However, as a puppy, Rocky doesn't shed yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home