Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I’ve been thinking about the purpose of this blog. It started out as an excuse for me to write something - anything - every day. Writing about a puppy would be fairly easy, as everything is new to him and I would be able to see everything through his eyes. It has served that purpose well. I have really enjoyed writing about something new almost every day and it has turned out to be no effort to write every day on this subject. And I AM writing.

I also thought it would be a good way for friends and relatives to keep up with our adventures. It’s like a newsletter only better. I think my Dad said it best when he wrote "it can be an abbreviated way of keeping up with selected interests". Although the friends and family hardly ever comment (you know who you are!), I have gained a loyal following of some other dog bloggers. Among those bloggers are some other people raising guide dogs, or dog guides or service puppies. It has been interesting to read their progress as I go through poop schedules and teething of my own. The other interesting group of bloggers is composed of visually impaired people who have working guide dogs of their own. Through them, I can tell what Rocky’s life will be like when he is grown up. And I hope he goes to someone like them too, as they really love and appreciate their dogs.

Peripherally, I have also begun to see that this blog could also be a boost for guide dog organizations. They work away at teaching dogs and all the daily grind of managing charitable organizations but they don’t have much time left over to tell folks about the daily amusements and tribulations. I think the dog bloggers who are raising puppies and using guide dogs can fill this void nicely.

7 Comments:

At 2:32 p.m., November 29, 2005, Blogger 8675309 said...

You just spoke what's in my head, Julia! I started one of my blogs as a writing exercise as well, but it's become much more.

Lomax and I love reading about your adventures with Rocky and look forward to the accompanying photos. It's also been good for me to follow your depiction of daily life with a younger pup, because I'm raising a dog who was already past most of those stages when I got him. Hopefully your words of wisdom will have an effect on how I raise my next pooch.

Keep up the great work!

jenny

 
At 2:42 p.m., November 29, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, you are too kind. :)

 
At 7:13 p.m., November 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* your puppy-blog! Sorry I don't comment often, but it never fails to makes me smile.

I am looking forward to Rocky's Christmas experiences. =)

 
At 7:21 p.m., November 29, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Ellen, a smile is what I’m going for most of the time! I know you are there reading the blog and I’m glad I can brighten your day when you log on.

 
At 3:11 p.m., November 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia and Rocky!
We read you every day!! Sorry we don't comment but we LOVE watching you grow, Rocky! And Julia, it is indeed a way of keeping in touch...I laughed so hard when I saw him next to the 'pipi' spot.

We'll try to comment more often, but don't stop blogging!!!
Hugs to both of you,

Carmen

 
At 3:17 p.m., November 30, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Carmen! I know you guys are out there somewhere - it's just nice to hear from you once in a while. Slow blogging today - working on sewing, and had to get groceries before it rained too.

 
At 10:00 a.m., December 01, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sam you're right - that was another reason I started the blog - to have a memory of the year when it was over. I did that in a way while I lived in England for a year, through emails with my husband who stayed at home. I wrote over 300,000 words that one year and even cut down to 120,000, they make a real nice "memento". Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers for dog bloggers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home