Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Mostly photos today. Don’t forget, you can look at larger editions if you just click on them.
Wednesday night, Peter came down with the same virus I had last week, so he stayed home Thursday (and today). Of course, he isn’t nearly as sick as I was! It also snowed starting Wednesday night and by Thursday morning, it was worthy of being shoveled. Rocky and I went for a walk in the morning and Peter took the photo looking out my sewing room window. Nice.
Morning snow walk
When we went for our afternoon walk, the wind had picked up and the snow was really blowing around. Peter took this one out the front door as Rocky and I set off. The photo was taken at 4:30pm but I don’t think it was as dark as it looks. Rocky was unmanageable almost the entire walk. I think it was the snow blowing in his face that did it, plus having deeper snow to walk in. I tried using the balanced lead and it actually calmed him down and he didn’t pull as much.
Going for a walk at 4:30pm
Later, I decided I wanted to shovel the patio. I was doing well until Peter let Rocky out. The shovel is like a broom or a Swiffer, only bigger and better! You can’t tell from the stills but he was growling and snapping and chewing on the handle. Fun for him.
Rocky and the snow shovel 1
Rocky and the snow shovel 2
Finally, we can’t help ourselves, playing with Rocky’s ears. They are longer than regular Lab ears and he doesn’t seem to mind them being flipped over. He’ll sit with them inside out until they flip back naturally. Other dogs (including Uma) reach up and paw their ears back down if they get flipped, but not Rocky. I suppose it’s like dressing up the dog. We humans are amused.
Rocky with his ears inside out

2 Comments:

At 9:35 p.m., November 25, 2005, Blogger Sam I Am said...

Rocky
What AWSOME pic ,wish I was there to play with you in the snow .I love snow.

 
At 10:44 a.m., November 26, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sam, aren't Weimaraners cold in the snow with their short coats? But I agree, snow is fun to play with and play in. Rocky hasn't learned or thought to roll in the snow yet but I suppose that is only a matter of time. I hope I have my camera ready when he does!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home