Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

This is not really about Rocky, but I was trying to explain by posting a comment on someone else's blog, how to deal with dog poop. I may have to post pictures but we'll see how just the words work.

I collect the poop in a little plastic sandwich bag, the kind that comes with twist ties. Once I have collected the poop, I tie a loose knot in the top or you could use the twist ties too (I just found them fiddly to carry). Small bags are easier to carry, to pick up with and to deal with all around. I know a lot of people use grocery bags but they are just too big and the poop gets all over them. I like the nice, neat package of a small sandwich bag.

Then you just carry it around with you until you are near a toilet. When you get to a toilet, you undo the top of the little bag, grasp the poop in the palm of one hand (outside the bag of course), roll the top of the bag down on the outside so it doesn't get covered in poop (and the top of the bag covers your hand too) and then reverse the action whereby you picked up the poop in the first place, thus releasing the package of poop into the toilet. Flush. This method allows you to smooth out the poop bag and tie a knot in the top of it so the smell doesn't get out and toss the now empty bag in the garbage. If you shake the bag inside down and let the poop slide out, it gets all over the inside of the top of the bag and then you can tie a clean knot in the open end. Once you get the hang of this (which should take all of one try), it is the most efficient, clean and practically invisible way of dealing with dog poop.

3 Comments:

At 2:15 a.m., October 07, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Ummm, after I poop, I turn around and kick it all over the place. This makes it next to impossible for my human to collect it. Maybe that's why he alway takes my deep into the woods walking at night, hmmmmmmmm . . .

Cal

 
At 9:29 a.m., October 07, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

When I was puppy walking Uma (the "U" litter of 1990) I learned to be lightening fast picking up poop, in case she pooped in a public place, like a shopping mall - which she did once of course! As soon as I saw her "assume the position", I had my baggie out, over my hand and ready and I scooped that poop almost before it hit the floor. I don't know if anyone around us even noticed what had happened. Maybe Cal, if your alpha person is fast with the pick-up, you won't have the chance to kick it around?

Welcome to my blog! And the other one too.

 
At 9:30 a.m., October 07, 2005, Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Hi Julia!
Saw that you visited my blog yesterday from L Squared! Thanks for visiting! Your blog is great! I'll definitely be back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home