Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, May 01, 2006

It’s been a few days. I had end of semester things to do like the final exam and marking papers. Rockwell had a visit from the PW supervisor on Friday. We discussed his sensitive nature and possible over-eagerness to please. We don’t want him to burn out. We agreed that we should take the summer slow and work on letting him know it is okay to relax. I know I have lots of fun photos of Rockwell in all poses of relaxation! But when he is out even just walking, with nothing else, he tries too hard.

We went to the Home Depot to walk around and I had him to begin with and he walked like a little angel in his jacket. Then I gave him to Sheila and she was so pleased with how well he is behaving - I was just grateful there were no other dogs at the Home Depot! He saw so many people that he didn’t feel the urge to jump on all of them, and so left them all alone. At one point, when I was walking behind Sheila with Rockwell and observing them, I told her, “I’m such a proud Mama!”

I also got a phone call from the CGDB folks and they have booked Rockwell’s appointment to be neutered. That’s coming up in two days. Apparently, they have really improved anaesthetics so that’s not so rough on the pups any more. And they glue the wound back together so the pup doesn’t even get to worry at stitches and so doesn’t need a cone. I just have to find out if he stays overnight - I wasn’t clear on the details.

We finally got to sit out on the patio again, after a couple of weeks of cold and rain.
posing on the patio
After a while, Rockwell got to be too distracting, so I put him inside for a bit. He was not amused.
the accusatory look

2 Comments:

At 1:40 a.m., May 07, 2006, Blogger Cairo The Boxer said...

I love the picture of you looking out of the window.

 
At 11:16 a.m., May 07, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Welcome to my blog, Cairo! I wasn't able to capture the most accusatory looks so this one had to do. :)

I checked out your blog and I'm going to add you to my dog-blog-roll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home