Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Big Snip - Part II
There probably aren’t any more Parts to the saga but since I started with “Part I” I thought I would continue.

I picked Rockwell up at the kennel at about noon today. He was being kept apart from the other dogs in a small examination room. I met up with the kennel guy and he gave me instructions for post-operative care. They used dissolving stitches, not glue and the kennel guy told me Rockwell had been licking at his stitches. so he gave me some bitter stuff to put on the stitches. I also still have Uma’s old cone so I can use that in a pinch. Our talking in the hall started a dog barking and that’s when I realized it was Rockwell barking. The kennel guy opened the door and Rockwell started to come out, not subdued at all. I hoped he would greet me like a long-lost but just then, the resident cat ran into the exam room and Rockwell turned right around to run after him. Maybe if I’d been chopped liver, he might have paid me more attention but I was pretty much ignored.

Rockwell finally agreed to come with me and when we left the kennel building, he had a very long pee and looked relieved. When we got to the car, he ran for the grass first and had a giant, dry poop. Obviously, he’d been holding it all in while he was away. He was happy to get in the car and sat most of the way home with his bum on the back seat and his front legs on the floor and his head between the seats. Once we got home, he preferred to sniff around rather than greet Peter like a long-lost also. You want them to love you and miss you but really, it’s better if they don’t get overly attached. Now he is peacefully snoozing after having had quite a lot of water to drink. We’re supposed to keep him quiet for a few days - shorter walks, no rough-housing. I think he’ll be just fine.

4 Comments:

At 3:52 p.m., May 04, 2006, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Best wishes on your recovery, Rockwell.
We've been through it too,
Calvin and Baloo

 
At 4:05 p.m., May 04, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Heal, Rockwell. Heal!

Empathetically,
Lomax

 
At 4:17 p.m., May 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockwell, I hope you will be all better by next weekend when the parental units and the sibling units come to visit!

Much love,

Aunt Norah

 
At 4:36 p.m., May 04, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Calvin and Lomax! ("Heal" indeed.)

Aunt Norah, time heals all wounds and they say he will be fine in only a few days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home