Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

So I’m sitting at the computer, writing an email. Peter has gone out. Rockwell and I have recently come back from a nice long walk where he only jumped on one person we met. He had his big pee when we left the house and another smaller one along the route. I am thinking, it’s his 8 month birthday tomorrow! I hear him upstairs, doing whatever it is that he does. Suddenly, I hear a not-immediately-identifiable noise but I know it can’t be good so I jump up and call, “Rockwell!”. I run upstairs and he meets me at the top. He doesn’t have anything in his mouth and the noise has stopped so I am momentarily puzzled. Then I see the puddle of pee on the carpet, with the trail of pee leading away from it where I had interrupted him.

I am horrified and he has the grace to look abashed. He runs down to the landing and I grab a roll of paper towels and start soaking up the puddle. I ask him, “What was THAT all about?” but he doesn’t say. I put him in his crate and continue cleaning. I go and do a few other things. Finally, I let him out of the crate and we go straight outside where he has a very small pee.

So I still don’t know why he did this. Was it to exert some kind of control over the situation? To assert his dominance? I don’t think it can be “marking” behaviour, as the whole house belongs to him and he hasn’t started marking outside at all. And anyway, will knowing why help with preventing it in the future? Any suggestions are welcome!

7 Comments:

At 9:54 p.m., February 19, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

"I ask him, 'What was THAT all about?' but he doesn’t say."

Hilarious...I too have had this "exchange." Also hilarious is that today, we both posted about dog pee.

Happy 8-month birthday, Rockwell! Lomax will be 17 months on Tuesday.

 
At 2:15 p.m., February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julia!
Maybe a bladder infection?

 
At 2:24 p.m., February 20, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Carmen, I don't think so. It was the look on his face that makes me think it was related to his still having testicles! Those pesky things. And he is otherwise healthy and his pee is a normal colour. But thanks for thinking of us!

 
At 9:39 a.m., February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eight months old? with a new behavior like this, especially since he was in the "other room", I would imagine it was either

1. Attention seeking behavior

2. Pushing the envelope to see what would happen (he is about that age)

3. Marking.. yup. .could be..

Targ was "excused" from DayCare at 11 months for trying to "own" everything in the place. Including filing cabinets, desks, desk chairs, crates, other dogs, shoes, legs, etc etc.

I would call it what it was. An isolated incident. But keep your eye on that little guy.. if you can catch him in the act, you are (no pun intended) Golden

 
At 11:17 a.m., February 23, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks EnegryPaws! I think he is getting into puberty and he exhibits bratty behaviour on walks sometimes too. I'll be glad when his hormones are under control. I am pretty sure that's the cause of this but we'll see after he gets the snip - still not sure when that may be.

 
At 11:21 a.m., February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem... and you can call me EP for short.

 
At 11:23 a.m., February 23, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks again EP! Especially as I typo'd your handle before. It seems that Blogger doesn't let me fix my boo boos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home