Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, September 12, 2005


Afternoon

It looks like we still don’t have a set routine (I am awfully pushy as he has not even been here 72 hours). You have to have one to even out the house training among other things. All creatures crave routine and I know Rocky isn’t an exception. But today he hasn’t been asking to go out - we just are out and then he plays in the grass and eats bark and chases ants but he doesn’t pee first. Tomorrow, any chance of a routine will be upset because we go for vaccinations. But he is being very good and the last time I popped him in his crate he didn’t even protest.

It’s going to be hot today and I believe the air conditioning may even come on when the sun gets around to the back of the house. I wish he was old enough to take out for even short walks because that would be a catalyst to get me out of the house too. On the other hand, I know puppies initially hate the leash and it is a struggle to get them to walk nicely. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, it will continue to be “crate, outside (pee), play”, repeat, and hope the routine sets in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home