Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, May 08, 2006

There may not be a single cause but this walking in the park first thing in the morning seems to have helped with regulating his poop schedule. Now he goes right after breakfast, as soon as we enter the park. Of course, then I have to carry the poop all the way around with me but, I’ve had worse. Some people don’t pick up at all (shame!). Some people do pick up but they act as if it is radioactive waste and throw it away in the nearest bin outside. I prefer to take it home and flush it because that’s where poop is supposed to be dealt with - in the sewage system. If you do this twice a day, every day, it quickly becomes an easy habit.

When we got home, while we were still in the parking area, Rockwell suddenly focussed every ounce of his being on a spot in someone’s driveway. I looked but it wasn’t until the mouse moved that I saw it. It was just a deer mouse with a white belly and it looked lost somehow, trundling back and forth, looking for something. Rockwell was entranced and followed the mouse visually all the way around the perimeter of the housing unit, sitting in one spot where I asked him to but shuffling his bottom every so often to keep square to the busy little mouse.
just chillin'

2 Comments:

At 11:04 a.m., May 08, 2006, Blogger Sandy said...

Walking Boogalu first thing in the morning made all the difference for us as well. He's now a fairly regular beagle :). We're still working with Pearl, but we've only had her about week so we're still working on it.

 
At 2:41 p.m., May 08, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Sandy - it's all part of a long process, that's for sure!

Val, welcome! I think Rockwell is only about half way on his way, if you ask me. I think we will have him until at least September and maybe longer. It depends on his general progress. I am willing him to pass and be a guide dog. I think another 5 or 6 months of my will being focussed on him may help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home