Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Big Snip Part V
Since the operation last week, I have had more success in getting Rockwell to leave people alone. When we meet up with people in the street, his first reaction is to lunge at them in hopes of planting a big wet one. Now, I ask him to sit and after about a minute, he actually does sit and remains sitting while we talk. Then after another minute, this person who we met can reach out and pet him without suffering too much puppy attention. Sometimes the mere act of reaching out to him can get him up on his feet and lunging but more and more, he listens when I ask him to stay seated. It's amazing. Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect and there's still a lot of work to do. But it's a great start.

Now that I take him for a proper walk around the park in the mornings, he leaves me along for a longer time while I work on the computer. However, after a while, he still gets bored and comes over to harass me. He sits right next to the electrical outlet where my computer is plugged in and barks at me. When I go to shush him, he flops over on his side, kicking the carpet over and resting his head perilously close to the plug. Then I either cave and take him out a second time or chase him away and upstairs where he can look out the window for a while.
growling at me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home