Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I thought it might be fun to try an extreme close-up and got this one of Rockwell’s nose as he lay sleeping on the stairs. I never have looked that closely up a dog’s nose before and notice an almost valve-like structure inside his left nostril. Cool.
Close up

Last night, Rockwell ventured upstairs while we were watching tv and after a while, it was just too quiet for me, so I followed to see what he might be up to. I found him sitting outside the closed bedroom door of the guest room. We keep the door closed when my parents are here to keep the dander out as Dad is allergic to dogs. We keep it shut when no one is here because then we don’t have to heat the room. I wondered if Rockwell was missing them and waiting outside their room for them to come out?

This afternoon, I caught him on camera, waiting outside the room again. Granted, he was basking in the afternoon sun too but I still think he was waiting for my parents to come out so he could play with them.
Waiting

12 Comments:

At 8:44 p.m., February 07, 2006, Blogger Peter Reichert said...

Hey, cool! Who knew there was a valve in there. Looks like you caught him on the exhale.

 
At 2:35 a.m., February 08, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

I'll bet that's exactly what he was waiting for, Julia! Apparently, my parents' dog does the same thing outside the door to the guest room whenever I leave after a visit....

 
At 11:06 a.m., February 08, 2006, Blogger Joan said...

Great pic, Julia. Gotta love those Lab noses.

And I think Rockwell knows he has a friend in your Dad, and in both your parents.

Labs just know.

Baxter, Elsie, and Ridge's Mom (from Labtails)

 
At 7:08 p.m., February 08, 2006, Blogger Just Jess for now said...

Jetta loves whenever my parents come to visit. I let my Dad take her for a walk-kind of a like a vacation for her and she is soooo happy when she comes back. Maybe dogs just like a little break every once in a while like people do.

 
At 11:59 a.m., February 09, 2006, Blogger M-Fax said...

I will have to post some close ups too. Bosco has a cool nose! haha

anyways I added a new feature on the choco dog blog that you all come and check out.

 
At 2:16 p.m., February 09, 2006, Blogger Tikimama said...

Too much cute nose! Ahhhh!

 
At 9:24 a.m., February 10, 2006, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

Hi - sorry for the long absence!!

Haha, loving Rockwell's nose pic - so cute!

And sunlit pics are always ever-so pleasing.

Take care!

 
At 9:30 a.m., February 10, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Bikerider, I don’t know why but I just like to look up dogs’ noses. :)

Jenny, those dogs - they love us even if they aren’t ours.

Joan, Labs DO know. And there is a whole section on Flickr where other people are obviously fascinated with their dogs’ noses.

Jess, I think you are right, that dogs need a break every now and then. That’s nice that Jetta gets to have a walk like a pet dog with your Dad.

MFax, we’ll be over later to look at Bosco.

Tikimama, welcome to my blog!

Furkids, welcome back! I look forward to seeing more great pics on your blog too.

 
At 6:22 p.m., February 10, 2006, Blogger IndyPindy said...

Neat picture of Rockwell's nose! And I bet he does miss your parents. I love my grandparents who live in FL, I always recognize them right away!

 
At 2:23 p.m., February 11, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Indy, Rockwell is so happy to see anyone, I can't tell if his greeting for my parents is different from how he greets the plumber! But he is sure happy when they stay overnight and play with him all day.

 
At 3:10 p.m., February 11, 2006, Blogger HanktheDog said...

Nice picture, Juliar. Rockwell may well have been waiting for your parents ... or simply missing them. Sometimes you just have the be in the right place to "feel" the energy of the people you've loved.

 
At 5:13 p.m., February 11, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Well Hank, they'll be back plenty more times I am sure, while Rockwell is still here so he'll get lotsa lovin'. I think he looks older in this picture too. Maybe because he is quiet and thoughtful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home