Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Today, we did the Loblaws run again. Not quite like the Kessels run in so many parsecs but an adventure nonetheless.

I think it was more successful than last time, partly because I had done it before too. I planned the route to walk over and back to avoid ALL the salt they use at the transit station. We headed toward Algonquin and crossed the main drag (Woodroffe) where the transit station and Algonquin “meet” so we could walk down the sidewalk on the east side of the street. It doesn’t have the salt on it and there isn’t much foot traffic either.

Rockwell remembered where we had turned in to the college the only other time he has been out there! When we got to that junction in the sidewalk, he turned right because that’s what we had done before. I explained that we weren’t going there today and he agreed to come along with me.

Once we got to the store, I put his jacket on and in we went. There weren’t very many people in the store so I was able to make my way slowly around the place without holding impatient shoppers up. I stopped and had a couple of short conversations with other shoppers who were interested in Rockwell - he is so cute that people just stop and smile at him involuntarily.

At the express checkout (only 9 items this time), Rockwell enthusiastically greeted the cashier in the adjoining lane when he was suddenly presented with this bonus person to jump on. The man was very nice about it too. In the kerfuffle, I forgot for the second time to use the coupon for butter that I had clipped. I have my limitations too.

Took his jacket off at the door on the way out and let him be petted by two small children. Then it was home again, home again, jiggedy jig.

9 Comments:

At 12:29 p.m., December 19, 2005, Blogger M-Fax said...

man I got to thinking how much fun Boco would have at a grocery store.....all those people to play with and all that good food to smell.

your comment stuck!

 
At 5:31 p.m., December 19, 2005, Blogger HanktheDog said...

Loblaws. Now there's a blast from the past for me. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

 
At 6:43 p.m., December 19, 2005, Blogger Natalie said...

Aww yay for Rocky! Glad you had a good trip! :D

Nat :)

 
At 7:33 p.m., December 19, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

MFax, I’m glad my comments work now! I’ll try another next time I’m over there. It may be fun for the dog but it’s work for me!

Hank, glad I could bring back memories. You from Canada originally?

Nat! We’re doing good so far!

 
At 9:28 a.m., December 20, 2005, Blogger Peter Reichert said...

Since you were wondering ... and even though a parsec is a unit of time, Wikipedia says: "However, it is speculated that Solo brazenly shaved by the gravity wells, thus achieving a run under a distance of 12 parsecs where a safer route would be much longer."

 
At 9:32 a.m., December 20, 2005, Blogger Peter Reichert said...

Oops. I meant it is NOT a unit of time. It's the distance from the Earth to the Sun. @#$%&(/@!!!

 
At 10:21 a.m., December 20, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Cool Bikerider! I am always telling you to go to Wikipedia and I didn’t take my own advice. Yes, those units of time and distance get fuzzy at the far end of the spectrum. It’s like, a light year is a measure of distance, even though it doesn’t sound that way. So I guess it makes sense that a parsec would also be a measure of distance and not time.

 
At 8:25 p.m., December 21, 2005, Blogger Sam I Am said...

We are so glad that you had an AWESOME trip,Way to go.

 
At 10:14 p.m., December 21, 2005, Blogger JuliaR said...

Oh Sam I Am, wait until Friday's adventure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home