Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

This morning we happened upon a dead baby bird, lying in the grass. As I stood by this small casualty of a cruel world, I watched Rockwell sniff it, move around, sniff it again. I wondered (briefly) if I might see some spark of compassion for a fellow traveller, a sign that this dog had some human qualities that we humans so pathetically look for in animals. As I watched, I saw him bend his front legs and angle his nose toward the ground and boom! He was down and rolling on the dead thing. Sorry, but Rockwell is a dog through and through.

3 Comments:

At 11:42 a.m., June 01, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

LOL!!!!!

Julia, this made my morning and brought back a hilarious memory.

A friend and I went up to the mountains once to visit another friend's dog while she was out of town for the weekend. We took the dog to the lake...where she proceeded to roll on a dead, rotting carp. I have NEVER in my LIFE smelled anything so foul!

We had to put her in the car (!) and drive her home. We had all the windows down and sunroof open, and whenever we stopped at a light, we stuck our heads out the windows because it was simply unbearable. Even the dog looked like she didn't want to be anywhere near herself!

 
At 5:06 p.m., June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia:
What wonderful writing today and yesterday. You're right up there with Laurie Colwin now! All that practice has paid off.

 
At 7:18 p.m., June 01, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Jenny, I'm glad I could make your morning! :)
And Norah, to compare me with Laurie Colwin is praise indeed.
I thought of this little bit of prose as I was walking Rockwell and had to hurry home before I forgot it. With His Nibs, I can't carry anything except the bare minimum (cell phone, keys and poop bags) and today I was also carrying an umbrella, so I never have a note pad with me. I thought the scene might make a fun anecdote so I'm glad I remembered the phrases as I thought of them. I don't always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home