Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I had a good visit with my PW supervisor and we discussed the hissy fits, as she calls them. First of all, he's not the only dog having them so that's a relief. Secondly, she thinks not having a fenced yard may be a factor. The other dogs having tantrums also don't have free-run play time in a yard and they might be getting cranky when their only outdoor time is on a leash. Thirdly, she agrees that it may have something to do with the dog not getting what he wants. I want to go home and he doesn't - tantrum.

I'm going to work on being more assertive in not putting up with tantrums. And we're going to look for a fenced area where Rockwell can run around. She said there was a public school near here that gave permission for a guide dog to use the yard as long as it was wearing the jacket. High schools don't usually have a completely fenced and gated yard so I'm going to look for the nearest public school and see if I can get permission for Rockwell to romp on the weekends.

Finally, we went for a walk in Westboro where there is plenty of distraction including lots of people, kids, dogs, street food vendors, and Rockwell performed like the star he can be. So that was really successful too. With the break on the weather and my new-found optimism regarding Rockwell, I feel much better.

5 Comments:

At 3:10 p.m., May 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun to catch up on Rockwell's progress today, hissy fits and all. Well done, Julia. Having read through a week of entries, there is definite progress!

 
At 10:42 p.m., May 24, 2006, Blogger Hobbes Dogs said...

Congratulations on a successful day. I'm sure there will be more and more.

We can tell that Rockwell is really maturing... both from your pictures and your descriptions. It is a pleasure to continue watching him grow up.

Sam, Calvin, and Patience

 
At 7:27 a.m., May 25, 2006, Blogger Sandy said...

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself because Rockwell is doing very well. He really is still a puppy and has learned a lot already.

 
At 1:12 p.m., May 25, 2006, Blogger 8675309 said...

Julia, I wonder -- could this partly be a result of his breed? I'd forgotten he's half Golden...some of the "Goldador" crosses in my puppy group have been, shall we say, energetic.

And have still made wonderful guide dogs, by the way. =)

Hang in there; you're doing a great job with him!

 
At 2:04 p.m., May 25, 2006, Blogger JuliaR said...

Thanks Muffy! It is different when you agonize through it hour by hour.

Thanks Calvin. You are looking pretty grown up too! And you sure sound more mature.

Sandy, I'm not really that hard on myself. I blame the dog too. ;)

Jenny, when we got him, the CGDB said that the crosses sometimes produced gorgeous air heads but more likely would be a smart dog like a Lab with the more people-pleasing temperament of the Golden. Since I know Rockwell is smart and sensitive and sweet, I'd say I got the latter. I am just waiting for him to grow out of temper tantrums, just like 2 year old humans do eventually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home