Puppy walking

An adventure in looking after a puppy until it is old enough to be properly trained as a guide dog for the blind.

Sunday, September 11, 2005


Sept. 11 evening

[In the photo...] Rockwell is sitting there on the lawn, leaning his elbow on the patio stone like he was driving a car with the window down, just cruising. "This is MY place", he thinks.

A little later, we’re having dinner while listening to Federer and Agassi playing an exciting tennis match. Suddenly, I become aware of Rockwell coming down the hallway toward us in the dining room. We have decided to put his food and water bowl down at the front door because any spills won’t be a problem with the tile floor. I look up to see him trotting down the hall toward me, holding his metal bowl in his teeth. We have fed him dinner so it’s an empty bowl he is carrying but I find the sight amazing. Uma had never brought us her empty bowl. In fact, I’ve only seen well-trained dogs on tv carrying empty food bowls for effect! And he’s only been here 48 hours. Of course, I get up to take the bowl away and put it back and then I discover that it wasn’t empty of water when he picked it up. But still, it was quite thrilling to see a small puppy looking quite so smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home